The Importance of Flea and Tick Prevention
At Southwest Veterinary Hospital in Littleton, CO, we strive to provide your pets with the best health and wellness care available. That includes the best state-of-the-art methods for flea and tick prevention.
Fleas and Diseases
Fleas are parasites that can spread unwanted diseases to your pets. Flea bites can trigger flea allergy dermatitis which causes itching, hair loss, and skin infections. Ingesting fleas can cause your pet to develop tapeworms. If your pet has a serious infestation of fleas, it can develop anemia. All of these issues can be avoided with proper flea prevention techniques.
Ticks and Diseases
Ticks are prevalent in many parts of the country. These parasites attach themselves to pets, feed on their blood, and transmit diseases to the host. With proper tick prevention, you can make a good effort to avoid the health issues caused by Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and other tick-borne illnesses.
Tick and Flea Prevention
When it comes to tick and flea prevention, we treat each individual pet according to their overall health and lifestyle. For example, a smaller pet that rarely leaves the home will require a lower level of protection than a pet that enjoys an active outdoor lifestyle. The best way to determine what method is preferred for your pet is to discuss your options with one of our veterinarians.
Tips for Flea and Tick Prevention
We recommend the following tips to aid in the management of fleas and ticks:
- Regularly inspect your pet for fleas and ticks
- Remove any ticks as quickly as possible to reduce the likelihood of your pet contracting a secondary illness
- Keep the grass in your yard mowed as short as possible
- Keep an eye on areas where your pet’s fur is sparse, it is easier to spot moving fleas across the skin
- If you have multiple pets, treat all of the animals at the same time
- If you have an extensive infestation, you may need to consider having a professional exterminator treat your home in conjunction with the treatment of your pet
- Speak with your veterinarian about the best preventative treatments for your pet
Schedule Your Flea and Tick Prevention Appointment
Southwest Veterinary Hospital is committed to providing the best veterinary care for your furry family members. Our dedicated staff in Littleton is ready to help keep your pet healthy for many years to come. Call our team at Southwest Veterinary Hospital today at (303) 794-2697 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.