You have decided to adopt a new puppy or kitten and make it a part of your family. While it's exciting, it can also be nerve-wracking and stressful thinking about everything that he may need to thrive. Of course, you want your new four-legged friend to live a long, happy, and healthy life, but you might need help to make that happen. We at Southwest Veterinary Hospital, PC in Littleton, CO, can be the clinic you can trust to help ensure your new pet has everything they need regarding care and treatment.
Your Initial Visit to Our Animal Hospital
You should set up an appointment as soon as you get your pet home, or perhaps even before. Regardless of where you got the animal or if a veterinarian has seen it already, you might want to start a routine for puppy and kitten care that will continue long into their senior years. What happens on your first visit? Here's what to expect:
During a first appointment for a puppy or kitten, the following events might take place:
- Check-in: You will be asked to provide information about your pet's age, breed, and general health.
- Physical examination: A vet on our veterinary team will perform a thorough physical examination, which might include checking the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and skin. Your pet's weight and overall body condition might also be assessed.
- Vaccinations: Your pet may receive its first vaccinations to protect against common diseases. We will determine the necessary vaccines based on age, lifestyle, and local disease prevalence.
- Parasite control: Your puppy or kitten will be tested for parasites and may be treated if necessary.
- Diet and nutrition: We'll discuss dietary needs and recommend an appropriate diet and feeding schedule.
- Behavioral advice: We might offer advice on common behavioral issues such as potty training, chewing, and socialization.
- Spay and neuter: We will review the benefits of spay and neuter and schedule it if you wish.
- Microchipping: You may be given the option to have your animal microchipped for identification purposes in case it gets lost.
Overall, the first appointment is an opportunity for a vet on our veterinary team to get to know you and your pet and help to develop a plan for lifelong treatment and care.
Call to Get Your Appointment Set Up at Our Animal Hospital
Whether you have already adopted your new puppy or kitten or are just considering it, now can be a good time to call us at Southwest Veterinary Hospital, PC in Littleton, CO, to set up a visit. We can be your local veterinarian experts, and we're eager to make you and your new pet a part of our family. Call us today at (303) 794-2697.