Maintaining your pet’s wellness happens throughout his life. We can use a variety of different tools to help you along the way. Our team at Southwest Veterinary Hospital, PC in Littleton, CO, is here to help.
What Are Pet Wellness Exams?
Pet wellness exams are similar to regular check-ups with your doctor. You take your pet to the vet to ensure everything is as it should be. It provides a veterinarian on our veterinary team with the opportunity to monitor your pet’s overall health and development. If anything abnormal is discovered, it can provide the opportunity to begin treatment before the condition severely impacts your pet’s health.
What Happens during a Pet Wellness Exam?
A wellness exam for your pet is much like a wellness exam for you. That means that our veterinary team might monitor your pet’s vital signs, such as weight, pulse, respiration and possibly temperature.
The physical examination will include a look at everything from head to tail. Therefore, a vet on our team might check the following on your pet:
- Gait and stance
- Nails and paws
- Condition of his coat and skin, keeping an eye out for rashes, dryness, parasites, dandruff, and more
- Eyes, looking specifically for eyelid issues, redness, discharge, cloudiness, tearing, and more
- Ears, searching for infections, wax build-up, ear mites, and more
- Mouth, checking for signs of periodontal disease, tooth decay, or gum issues
- If any potential or current issues are noticed, a veterinarian on our veterinary team might order more tests and will walk you through a course of treatment.
In addition to the exam, your pet may be given any necessary vaccinations. These vaccinations can be key to preventing potentially fatal illnesses and diseases.
Heartworm, flea and tick prevention might also be discussed. These external parasites can create a wide range of health problems for your pet and can be very irritating for them. Flea prevention and tick prevention can also help prevent diseases such as Lyme disease and more from being passed to your pet by these parasites.
Schedule Your Pet Wellness Exam with a Littleton, CO, Veterinarian on Our Veterinary Team
If you’ve brought home a new pet or it's been a while since your pet has visited the vet, call us at Southwest Veterinary Hospital, PC at (303) 794-2697 to schedule an appointment with our team.